Research and Further Reading
The following research articles and presentations are included with the permission of their authors or publishers.
Formative Research Articles and Presentations
- Bunnell R, Mermin J, De Cock KM. HIV prevention for a threatened continent: implementing positive prevention in Africa. JAMA. 2006;296(7):855-858.
- Bunnell RE, Nassozi, J, Marum E, Mubangizi J, Malamba S, Dillon B, et al. Living with discordance: knowledge, challenges, and prevention strategies of HIV-discordant couples in Uganda. AIDS Care. 2005;17(8):999-1012.
- Bunnell R, Opio A, Musinguzi J, Kirungi W, Ekwaru P, Mishra V, et al. HIV transmission risk behavior among HIV-infected adults in Uganda: results of a nationally representative survey. AIDS. 2008;22(5):617-24.
- Crepaz N, Lyles CM, Wolitski RJ, Passin WF, Rama SM, Herbst JH, et al. HIV/AIDS Prevention Research Synthesis (PRS) Team. Do prevention interventions reduce HIV risk behaviors among people living with HIV? A meta-analytic review of controlled trials. AIDS. 2006;20(2):143-57.
- Dawson Rose C, Colfax G, Knight MA, Shade S, Vittinghoff E, et al. Results of the HIV Intervention for Providers (HIP) Study: Providing Prevention for HIV Positive People through Clinician-Initiated HIV Risk Reduction Intervention. PowerPoint presentation from the Meeting the Prevention Needs for People Living with HIV/AIDS meeting, August 4, 2008.
- Estrada BD, Trujillo S, Estrada AL. Supporting Healthy Alternatives through Patient Education: a theoretically driven HIV prevention intervention for persons living with HIV/AIDS. AIDS Behav. 2007;11(5 Suppl):S95-105.
- Fisher JD, Cornman DH, Osborn CY, Amico KR, Fisher WA, Friedland GA. Clinician-initiated HIV risk reduction intervention for HIV-positive persons: Formative Research, Acceptability, and Fidelity of the Options Project. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004;37(Suppl 2):S78-87.
- Holzemer WL, Uys LR. Managing AIDS stigma. SAHARA J. 2004;1(3):165-74.
- Kalichman SC, Rompa D, Cage M. Group intervention to reduce HIV transmission risk behavior among persons living with HIV/AIDS. Behav Modif. 2005;29(2):256-85.
- Kelly JA, Murphy DA, Sikkema KJ, McAuliffe TL, Roffman RA, Solomon L. et al. Randomised, controlled, community-level HIV-prevention intervention for sexual-risk behaviour among homosexual men in US cities. Community HIV Prevention Research Collaborative. Lancet. 1997;350(9090):1500-5.
- King-Spooner S. HIV prevention and the positive population. Int J STD AIDS. 1999;10:141-150.
- Myer L, Morroni C, Cooper D. Community attitudes towards sexual activity and childbearing by HIV-positive people in South Africa. AIDS Care. 2006;18(7):772-6.
- Myers JJ, Rose CD, Shade SB, Koester KA, Maiorana A, Malitz F., et al. Sex, risk and responsibility: provider attitudes and beliefs predict HIV transmission risk prevention counseling in clinical care settings. AIDS Behav. 2007;11(5 Suppl):S30-8.
- Purcell DW, Latka MH, Metsch LR, Latkin CA, Gómez CA, Mizuno Y, et al. Results from a randomized controlled trial of a peer-mentoring intervention to reduce HIV transmission and increase access to care and adherence to HIV medications among HIV-seropositive injection drug users. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2007;46(Suppl 2):S35-47.
- Richardson JL, Milam J, McCutchan A, Stoyanoff S, Bolan R, Weiss J, et al. Effect of brief safer-sex counseling by medical providers to HIV-1 seropositive patients: a multi-clinic assessment. AIDS. 2004;18(8):1179-1186.
- Visser MJ, Mundell JP. Establishing support groups for HIV-infected women: using experiences to develop guiding principles for project implementation. SAHARA J. 2008;5(2):65-73.